My photo
Poetry and snark blogger who also has a creative side (who knew?)

Monday, December 6, 2010

Happy Holidays (Sorry, Didn't Mean to Offend You!)

Would you be offended if someone were to wish you a happy holiday? Apparently the good folks at the Liberty Counsel would be. They want to hear "Merry Christmas" at this time of year, and nothing else will do. In fact, they find reference to anything other than Christmas so abhorrent that for the past 8 years they have carried on a "Friend or Foe Christmas Campaign" in which they publish a list of "Naughty" or "Nice" retailers based on whether or not the Counsel finds the store "Christmas friendly." Their concern is that Christmas is no longer being properly acknowledged in America.

Mathew D. Staver, Founder and Chairman of Liberty Counsel and Dean of Liberty University School of Law, stated, "...Retailers that profit from Christmas while pretending it does not exist will find that consumers will shop elsewhere.” Now, I don't know about you, but from where I stand, the Liberty Counsel need not worry about Christmas ceasing to exist or losing its stronghold over retailers during the time between approximately early November and January 1. While I may spy a few Hanukkah or Kwanzaa cards or decorations in some corner of a store or two, the overwhelming majority of retailers are inundated with red and green decorations, Christmas greetings, Santas, costumed salespeople, and Christmas music. The word "Christmas" is not difficult to find anywhere. It's precisely the opposite; if you're looking for a holiday card or gift without Christmas connotations, good luck!

The Liberty Counsel doesn't approve of the idea of generic winter themed school parties either. They want the traditional Christmas party restored to our children's schools, replete with Christmas cookies, Christmas carols, and Christmas trees. They don't really specify whether or not children of other faiths should have their traditions included in the party as well or just pretend to be Christian for the day and fit in dammit!

I will be the first to admit that I'm hardly objective about this issue. Growing up Jewish in a predominantly Christian environment, I sometimes felt left out, isolated, and overlooked. I appreciate when someone says, "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" to me because I never personally celebrated Christmas, although I do now with my family. I don't assume everyone I meet celebrates my holiday, so why should they assume I celebrate theirs? Although I enjoy seeing the Christmas decorations in stores, I feel a certain sadness when I can't find even one thing for Hanukkah. From where I stand, every retailer is "Christmas friendly."

So, here's what I have to say to Mathew D. Staver and the Liberty Counsel: You think you have it hard? Feh! You should see what I have to go through in the stores! I could plotz from the frustration! I should have it so hard as you. Oy vay. Quit your kvetching, get off your tuchis, and go shopping already or you'll miss all the good sales! Oy vay iz mir!

5 comments:

  1. I also think they expend too much energy worrying about something that isn't going to change. They need to worry about something like feeding the hungry or something like that.
    Happy Holidays girl,
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate what Liberty Counsel is doing. Being a Christian, I find their guides helpful to my shopping preferences. Also, I find it very difficult to figure out why people get so angry about a Christian organization promoting Christian values. What exactly do people expect them to do? Besides, if you're truly upset at Liberty counsel, blogging about them is not the way to fix things. They probably appreciate the free advertising!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Odie: Thanks. I agree that their energy could be better spent, but then again, I spend my energy ranting about them, so who am I to talk?!! But it's therapeutic for me! Anyway, Happy Holidays! Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah! Happy Kwanzaa! or just have a nice Monday.

    Anon: I'm not "so angry." I just find their complaints about Christmas not being acknowledged ridiculous, and I enjoy ranting about people I find ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :0)
    Excuse me for smiling m/f.
    You did say you wanted followers and I see you have acquired a few.
    I see that religion is still causing wars. sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate it when someone says Happy Holidays. It means that they acknowledge that there are other winter holidays that are celebrated in this country. I'm not offended by Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa or Happy Hanukkah. If I'm wished a happy anything, it's fine with me.
    I could totally start a fight on your blog by pointing out that most Christmas traditions were born from Paganism, but I'll save the fighting for my own blog.
    And Happy Hanukkah, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Rant with me. Come on, you know you want to!