My photo
Poetry and snark blogger who also has a creative side (who knew?)

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Is This Big Enough?

Is this big enough to erase my wrinkles?
Is this big enough to erase my wrinkles?!! Did you know it was an eraser? Well, in case you're the 20 something woman who was standing perplexed in front of this sculpture, ambiguously entitled "Typewriter Eraser," and asking, "What is it?", it's a friggin' typewriter eraser biatch! It pains me that I'm now of a certain age (that would be "old") that a myriad of objects that were commonplace to me have faded into obscurity and, in fact, are no longer even recognized by people of another certain age (that would be "young.") I don't know where the cut-off is, but the typewriter eraser sculpture in the National Gallery Sculpture Garden seems to illustrate the point well. When I saw this sculpture, I smiled and laughed at the absurdity of the scale of this mundane image while Miss Underdeveloped squinted and scowled as she tried to discern why the pizza cutter had such a strange handle. I wonder if she had ever seen a typewriter. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. Know what it is....I still own a friggin typewriter.
    Not that I ever use it. :0)
    I use the hunt and peck system on my keyboard.
    Works for moi.

    ReplyDelete

Rant with me. Come on, you know you want to!